The single largest user of natural gas in the home is the furnace. A well-maintained furnace will work more efficiently and last longer. And when it’s time to buy a new furnace, an expert can advise you on the best solution for your home-heating needs.
- Choose an ENERGY STAR® furnace – If it’s time to replace your existing furnace, consider buying a furnace that’s earned the ENERGY STAR® . ENERGY STAR® furnaces have an annual fuel efficiency rating (AFUE) of 95 percent or higher.
- Professional tune-up – An annual furnace inspection by a licensed heating contractor will ensure safe, efficient operation.
- Change the filter – Changing the furnace filter regularly will help keep clean air flowing throughout your home. If the filter becomes dirty or clogged, it will restrict airflow and cause the furnace to stay on longer, using more fuel. Note: If you have a central air conditioner, your filter may need to be changed more frequently because it’s working during the summer, too.
- Keep vents and registers unobstructed – Move drapes, rugs and furniture away from heat registers and return-air vents. Free-flowing air through the furnace provides quick comfort for less money.
- Install a smart thermostat – You won’t have to remember to turn the furnace down when you go to sleep or leave for work. Smarter temperature control will help reduce your fuel usage and lower your energy costs.